Back to mobile site

US auto safety agency probes Tesla Model 3 emergency door release

December 24, 2025 6:17 AM EST

FILE PHOTO: Tesla Model 3 on display at the Everything Electric exhibition at the ExCeL London international exhibition and convention centre in London, Britain, March 28, 2024. REUTERS/Peter Cziborra/File Photo

Dec 24 (Reuters) - The U.S. ⁠auto safety regulator ⁠said ‍on Wednesday it has opened a defect investigation into Tesla Model 3 compact sedans over concerns that emergency door release ‍controls may not be easily accessible or clearly identifiable in ​an emergency.

The Office of Defects Investigation said the probe covers an estimated 179,071 model ​year 2022 vehicles.

The investigation was opened on December 23 after the agency received a defect petition alleging that the vehicles' mechanical door release is hidden, unlabeled and not ​intuitive to locate during emergencies.

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The company's vehicles rely primarily on electronic door latches, ​which open via buttons rather than traditional mechanical handles.

While Tesla includes a manual door release for ‌use in emergencies or power failures, experts have long argued that the mechanical releases are not consistently visible, labeled ​or intuitive, particularly for rear-seat passengers.

Last month, ⁠Tesla was sued over a fiery Wisconsin crash that killed all five occupants of a Model S, who ‌were allegedly trapped inside because of a design flaw that prevented them from opening the luxury sedan's doors.

The automaker has also been sued by families of two ‌college students killed in a Cybertruck crash November last year in a San Francisco ‌suburb, after allegedly being locked in the burning vehicle because of its door handle design.

The opening of a defect petition does not mean a recall will be ‍issued, but it marks the first step in a regulatory review process that could lead to further action ⁠if safety-related defects are confirmed.

The auto regulator, NHTSA, said in September it had opened a preliminary evaluation into about 174,290 Model Y cars over reports of electronic door handles becoming inoperative.

(Reporting by Akash Sriram in Bengaluru; Editing by Janane Venkatraman and Shilpi Majumdar)



Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!

You May Also Be Interested In





Related Categories

Reuters

Related Entities

Tesla, Model 3