Islamic State claims responsibility for northeastern Aleppo attack that killed two Syrian soldiers
CAIRO, June 20 (Reuters) - Islamic State claimed responsibility on Saturday for an attack near the city of Manbij in Syria's northeastern Aleppo province that the Syrian Defence Ministry said killed two soldiers.
The militant group made the claim in a statement on its Telegram channel. Reuters could not independently verify the claim.
Earlier on Saturday, the Defence Ministry said two soldiers had been killed by unidentified assailants near Manbij but provided no further details.
The attack came amid a series of assaults claimed by Islamic State since February, when the jihadist group announced what it described as a new phase of operations against the government of President Ahmed al-Sharaa.
The Syrian government has expanded its control in parts of northern and eastern Syria, and U.S. forces have begun withdrawing from some positions in the country's northeast, according to Syrian military and security sources.
(Reporting by Enas Alashray and Eman Abouhassira; Editing by Alexandra Hudson, Rod Nickel)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Brush fire in Nevada grows to over 10,500 acres
- Canada's Unifor union, GM reach tentative agreements
- Putin says Ukraine opened 'Pandora's box' with strikes on economic targets
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share