EU ministers agree on sanctions targeting violent West Bank settlers
An Israeli settler places an Israeli flag, on the day of the re-establishment of the settlement of Sa-Nur, which was evacuated as part of Israel’s 2005 disengagement, in Sa-Nur in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, April 19, 2026. REUTERS/Shir Torem
BRUSSELS, May 11 (Reuters) - European Union foreign ministers reached an agreement on Monday on new sanctions targeting violent Israeli settlers in the occupied West Bank, as well as leading Hamas figures, EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said.
The sanctions package, which targets three settlers and four settler organisations whose identities have yet to be publicly disclosed, had been blocked for months by the previous Hungarian government, which lost an election last month.
European governments have raised concern about a rise in reports of settler violence against Palestinians in the West Bank.
"It was high time we move from deadlock to delivery," Kallas said on X. "Extremisms and violence carry consequences," she added.
Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said on X the EU had "chosen, in an arbitrary and political manner, to impose sanctions on Israeli citizens and entities because of their political views and without any basis."
"Equally outrageous is the unacceptable comparison the European Union has chosen to make between Israeli citizens and Hamas terrorists. This is a completely distorted moral equivalence," he added.
"As Israel and the US are 'doing Europe's dirty work' by fighting for civilization against Jihadist lunatics in Iran and elsewhere, the European Union exposed its moral bankruptcy by drawing a false symmetry between Israeli citizens and Hamas terrorists," the Israeli prime minister office posted on X.
Senior Hamas official Basem Naim also criticized the move by EU ministers against his group, saying that the EU insists on what he described as political hypocrisy and racism.
"It equates a fascist executioner who boasts of committing genocide and ethnic cleansing, a rogue state that violates every international law, with the victim who defends itself according to all laws and statutes," he told Reuters.
(Reporting by Lili Bayer and Nidal Al Mughrabi; Editing by Inti Landauro, Peter Graff and Nick Zieminski)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Instant View: US Treasury will double some bond buy backs
- European corporate outlook keeps improving as recovery goes beyond energy profits
- Analog Devices' quarterly forecast tops estimates on AI-fueled chip demand
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersRelated Entities
BankruptcySign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share