Canada's Enbridge says 800 workers take voluntary buyouts
Get Alerts ENB Hot Sheet
Join SI Premium – FREE
(Reuters) - Enbridge Inc (NYSE: ENB), Canada's largest pipeline operator, said on Wednesday about 800 employees have opted for voluntary buyouts, as the company tries to reduce costs to tackle the COVID-19 crisis and the global oil price shock.
In an email response to Reuters, Calgary-based Enbridge said it was offering employees the option to voluntarily select early retirement, severance, leaves of absence or part-time work.
"As a result of these actions, we won't need to pursue company-wide layoffs at this time," a company spokesperson said.
Enbridge is reducing base pay across its non-union workforce, with the board of directors and CEO Al Monaco taking a 15% cut and the company's executive vice presidents taking a 10% cut.
A recent plunge in global crude prices due to a pandemic-driven drop in demand and excess supply has battered Canada, the world's fourth-largest crude producer.
Last month, Enbridge said it has deferred C$1 billion ($737.57 million) in capital spending and cut costs by C$300 million, including salary cuts and retirements.
(This story corrects paragraph 4 to clarify that the pay-cut range of 10% to 15% is for Enbridge's directors, CEO and EVPs, and not across the non-union workforce)
(Reporting by Shradha Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Maju Samuel and Devika Syamnath)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- European corporate outlook keeps improving as recovery goes beyond energy profits
- Off-price retailer TJX raises annual profit forecasts
- Explainer-What you need to know about Iceland's EU referendum
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories
ReutersRelated Entities
Crude OilSign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!



Tweet
Share